Thursday, March 1, 2012

First Time Sick. I Mean Really Sick.

I decided to call the doctor first thing this morning and in that 1 hour we had before our appointment, while getting us dressed and Sammie fed, I contemplated if this is what we should be doing. Do we really need to go to the doctor for them to tell us it's just a cold virus and nothing will help, just to wait it out? Well, luckily we went. Now I feel bad for waiting this long!
I promised Sammie she wouldn't get any shots, because I knew she remembered her last appointment with the needle sticks and blood, and as soon as she saw the room she started crying.  As good as she is, she did not want neither the nurse to touch her, nor the doctor. They had such a hard time listening to her heart (which was fast, but can you blame her?) and checking her ears. The right one looked cloudy so it seems as if she has a borderline ear infection. Good thing it hadn't spread to her lungs and turned into pneumonia! As far as having a runny nose for 3 weeks, the mucous had built up in her sinuses and has caused a sinus infection so she needs to be on antibiotics for 2 weeks. On top of that, she still needs to take allergy medicine!  Since the antibiotics are rough on the tummy (causing diarrhea), she also needs to eat a lot of yogurt and take a pro-biotic. Further, she had a low grade fever, so we added Tylenol to the list of meds to take. Poor Baby! She was so lethargic all day and didn't want to leave my arms. Lunch in Mama's lap. Nap time in Mama's arms. What a heavy 21-pound sack of sugar! And she has no appetite. Finally, I gave her the Tylenol and she was a different child... still sick, but she played and laughed a little and finally ate some fruit. Thank you Tylenol.  Dinner was ROUGH but we got her to eat a little and drink as much as she would tolerate.  I hope she sleeps well tonight and that antibiotic starts killing off the bacteria so she feels better soon.
A lot of Mommies say that it breaks their heart when their babies have to get shots because of the pain they are in. Shots don't bother me at all. I know she'll walk it off in 5 minutes, but what she went through today and how she's feeling, tears me up inside... but I know she will be ok. It'll just be longer than 5 minutes.  Thankfully the pedi said she's not contagious...
Good morning, Stinky Face.
I don't wanna sinus infection!
I got a Cookie Monster sticker at the doctor's!
 
... and after the Tylenol :)
PS~ She fights the meds, so it's best to let her watch a video and try to get her to tolerate it.... or during bath with her head on Daddy's shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment