Friday, February 25, 2011

The Specialist (doctor update)

Today was our appointment with the pediatric GI specialist. Good thing we decided to bring a poopie diaper, and luckily, on Sammie's 'end' she decided to poop right before we left :) Dr. Jatla said that it seems that the blood in her poop could be 1 of 2 reasons: either a food allergy or a bacteria in her colon, possibly C. diff. We told him that I had eliminated dairy, eggs, and soy from my diet and the blood is still randomly there, but that Sammie is in no pain. He said that these sorts of things don't follow any "rules"- anything goes. He said that I can introduce those foods back in my diet since they're not the reason and also gave us a list of common food allergies, mild to more severe, and I can cut them out one by one, if I choose. He also took the poopie diaper that we brought in and is sending it to the lab to have it cultured for any type of bacteria or parasite that could be in her GI tract. We should get those results in by Tuesday. If it is a bacteria or parasite, she'll just need an antibiotic. In the mean time, I will be slowly introducing my old foods and will begin to eliminate gluten... I sure do love bread! Until then, we'll just have to wait. But Dr. Jatla said that this isn't very harmful, it won't interfere with her growth or development and she'll eventually out grow it (probably by 1 year).

As for Sammie, she was nothing but smiles at the doctor's office, once again charming everyone. The only thing is that she did not want to be on the table. She must have had vaccination flashbacks ha ha

Daddy & Sammie

Mommy & Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment