Well, it hasn't been easy. Sunday before heading over to Matt's parent's we found some blood in Sammie's diaper. Matt called MedLink and they said to give her some PediLyte in case she was de-hydrated. Of course she wouldn't take it. Going to bed that night was tough. She did not want to be put down! She would wake up as soon as you placed her in the crib and fall asleep the second she was in your arms. We made an appointment with the pedi as soon as they opened. The doctor thinks Sammie could have a milk allergy- her intestines can't digest the milk protein and wants to fight it off. We considered this Sunday night, so I had already stopped eating dairy. The kicker is that the protein can stay in my body up to 2 weeks!!! I am sticking to a non-dairy diet and see how she is in a couple of weeks. So far the days are good. Sammie is mostly back to her usual self, with some fussiness and spit up after she eats. The horrible time comes when it's time for bed! She gets so hungry and falls asleep eating and once she gets in the crib, she cries. Monday night we had a quick hysterical colic fit, but with the help of a hairdryer, she was calm and asleep in 5 minutes! We reverted back to her sleeping in her swing since that is where she is most comfortable (it holds her upright and cuddles her). We feel so terrible that she is so uncomfortable with all this, we are going to give her specialized formula before going night-night and hopefully that will help her to feel better and sleep in her crib again. After a couple weeks when the protein is out, I'll go back to breast feeding and see how things go. I can't believe this is all happening the same week I go back to work! I hope we can help Sammie and get some sleep and I won't be a zombie!
Although it's heart breaking to see and hear her in so much pain at night, it's pleasant to see her sleeping so peaceful...
 |
Monday night
|
 |
Tuesday night
|
I hope she feels better. I don't know if I would stop breast feeding completely b/c she may not want to start back up. Even if you are pumping and dumping and can keep up your supply, it’s easier to get it from the bottle. She may refuse and that’s so much harder on mommy. :( Well at least for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks T. I'm still breast feeding and dealing with her "fussiness". I won't stop BF. I'll give up any food for her to feel better :) We'll find out in about 2 weeks if it's really dairy or what.
ReplyDeleteHow was your first day back at work?
ReplyDelete